Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wiki - Task 15

Wikis, for some reason, have never really appealed to me. However like everyone else in the world I use Wikipedia quickly enough if I need quick basic information - it's a great starting place for research.

While I get the shared collaborative thing by using Wikis, I find I prefer to use other technology which can do the same thing. People who can't do html can participate, I agree, but the pages tend to look to much like static html for my liking. One thing I hate about Wikis is the inability to edit attached word documents without downloading and uploading the document again. This isn't a general problem with Wikipedia, but has limitations for use as an Intranet.

I have just spent some time looking at the list of other wiki examples that you can link to in this task. As the Library has been discussing updating their subject guides recently, I decided to look at the Subject Guides Wikis. I possibly need to take some time to assess whether it was the wiki or the actual content of the subject guide. It just seemed that the guides looked very much the same (? Wiki limitations) and the content was the same as previously used on the html version. One that had a more interesting look was the LitWiki from Ohio University.


No comments: